"Weighing On My Mind"

This morning I had a number of fairly significant setbacks with my band, my business and my side job, one after the other. But as each blow was delivered, I felt a sense of calm as The High Divers new album, Chicora, passed softly through my speakers in the other room. I felt like I had to write something special for my favorite song off the album thus far, "Weighing On My Mind."



“Weighing On My Mind” is the first song of a road trip after getting out of the city, flying down the open road with nothing but endless possibilities ahead.  Perhaps I’m with my girlfriend, a group of friends, or maybe I’m by myself, empowered to drop everything for a couple days and head down to Mexico for a dip in the ocean to cleanse my soul. It’s the sound of rolling around in the white wash of a crashing wave - slightly jarring - but ultimately loving in its unwavering energy. Wherever it began, it had no other purpose but to move with the current, searching for a place to rest. As it nears the shores of Sandy Beach, it arches its back, stretches out its arms and crashes upon me, carrying me back to its sandy bed. As I stumble to climb out of the Sea’s womb, feet sinking into the sand, I look up and see the smiles of the ones I love most in this world... It’s good to have my friends around.

Sometimes we waste an entire day feeding negative energy within ourselves, rather than responding to an unfavorable situation and moving past it. It takes mental and emotional strength to overcome this inclination to be swept away by an unforeseen current. But the current isn’t what’s distresses us – it’s when we either try to fight it too aggressively, or we completely give in and make no effort to leave its grasp when the time is right. Take your wave to the beach of your dreams and crash upon it as hard and as whole as you can.

Cheers,
Joey

RIVIR.

** check out the full album by The High Divers HERE and for our readers in Arizona, be sure to catch them at Shady Park Tempe on April 5th with Hannah Wicklund & The Steppin Stones. TICKETS AVAILABLE >> https://tinyurl.com/ya39myzo


Comments

Popular Posts