Spring Breeze Smiles

This was something I wrote a week ago about my solo performance at Tempe Festival of the Arts. I was only a few songs in when a little toddler and his parents walked up led by the boy's curiosity at the music I was making. I didn't complete it last week because I felt like it was turning into a Dr. Suess poem, but looking back at it, I think it adds a little bit of innocence to the mood of what's going on.


... It's Sunday morning and the spring breeze smiles are lifted by a child, with a whole entire lifetime dancing in his eyes. He's enamored by the black box floating overhead and the goofy looking man, in the bright blue shirt, with something funny in his hands. He reaches up as high as he can to grasp this strange energy, but can't. So he looks up again at the blue-shirted man with big-rimmed eyes, as if surprised, as their waves collide, dissolving the boundaries of age. A little hip-sway getdown, knee-bounce dipdown, foot-stomp groove, and now they're in tune, together, swooning with the music. Their blood starts to swim, their lungs gulp the air and it's deja vu; a similar taste of the first one they made when they left that dark womb as their soundtrack cued.
Photo: Esteban Obregon

This was a very unique performance for me because it isn't too often I get to interact with an all ages audience. The way this little boy immediately locked into the groove, without any thought or example to guide his movement, was an incredible thing to witness and it reminded me of being a kid and discovering new music. It was also reassuring because that was my first solo performance with my looper pedal (a piece of gear that enables me to add layers of music on repeat), so I was a little nervous until that little dude flipped on the good vibes switch and then the music just flowed effortlessly.

Since that performance, I've been thinking a about how some things just work with seemingly little effort. Musically speaking, I've always noticed how simple music tends to resonate with large audiences, but I never really analyzed why this is. With a lot of musicians, the word "simple" can become misconstrued as meaning "elementary" or "uninteresting," which is a mindset I sometimes fall prey to myself. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of examples where a "simple" piece of music can be elementary and uninteresting, but one trait does not imply the other. I do believe that music flows the best when there isn't too much complication, which I think is one of the main reasons I was able to connect with the boy at the arts festival. It was just me, my guitar, my voice and a little beat to keep the tempo. The songs were chill and relaxed, and I think this created an inviting mood for my performance.

Photo: Esteban Obregon
I don't think music has to always be safe and inviting, in fact I believe great music is always spiked with a little bit of tension that, once resolved, provides quite the sweet release... but a great song never feels like it's trying to be difficult for difficult's sake. I think this idea of tension and release can be applied across all things that are focused around a design. Architecture, painting, fashion, computer programming - these all require artistic decisions that can either invite the average passerby to come join the party, or alarm them to get away as fast as they can. There's a fine balance between the two, but the beautiful thing about art is that there are no rules - only ideas and decisions.

Have you had to make an artistic decision that effected the "likeability" of something you intended to share with people? Perhaps you prefer a less accessible style of music or art? I would love to hear your thoughts and please feel free to share links to yours or someone's content that encapsulates your preference✌

Much love,
Joey

RIVIR.

Comments

  1. Great peice man. It’s weird, whenever I bring my guitar in public, it’s always the kids who lock eyes first, drift a little longer, and prod at the air. Maybe in big crowds, we get to let go of our baggage and become kids again. Anyways, effortless tension will be a mantra guiding my art for the week. Thanks for the read, keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something special about being at ease with ourselves that enables us to reconnect with our inner child. When we find that headspace, therein lies happiness. Thanks for the comment and keep kreating man!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts