Artist Highlight: Aaron Tijerina of SURF AVE.

The third artist for our 4/20 show at Yucca Taproom is surf/psych/rock band, SURF AVE. We happened to stumble upon these guys when we were finishing the lineup and their style wound up being the perfect addition. Aaron Tijerina is the singer, songwriter and founder of the band, who has played in multiple projects throughout the years but set out with a distinct vision when forming SURF AVE. We got to meet Aaron outside of Yucca a few weeks back during the Unity Through Community spring festival to talk about the band and their background.

SURF AVE. has a very distinguishable style – it gives me vibes of riding a beach cruiser down Santa Monica Blvd to go surfing. Is there a particular memory of the ocean you can draw upon that encapsulates the sound of the band?

"Yeah , it had to be my first time back to the ocean as an adult ...when I was a kid I would take trips to the beach with my family’s church and eventually ditch the church group to go on my own ocean adventures ...after two or three times I remember them telling me I couldn’t skeez a ride for my own personal surf trips anymore ...

"So years past and I ended up on the pier in ocean beach with some friends having a cup of coffee thinking to myself “ if there is a God ( which I’m still not certain about today ) that God is the ocean ... It represents all avenues of character I see in the human race ... It’s soft and welcoming and in seconds can be violent and unpredictable. It also has many things about its personality I try to imitate in my own life, like its own vibrations and carefree attitude, careless to anything that's outside of the present moment... That’s the biggest thing I think the ocean and our music has to offer ... the present moment experience. We do our best to create a feeling or vibe of carelessness and experiencing life presently. Lyrically especially I have tried to use the ocean metaphorically and literally to express day to day struggles."

In terms of being present in the moment and carefree, do your bandmates have a similar temperament in their personalities and musicianship?


"I think we all do our best in our personal lives, I think presentness is difficult for everyone but music is something that brings us all together. Some members have known each other for over a decade, some just a few months, but as a whole I know we use the band to center us amongst our own personal chaos."

Check out SURF AVE. on Facebook and Instagram for updates on shows and new music. We've posted their newest album on Spotify below as well.

For our readers in Arizona, catch the band live at Yucca Taproom this Friday, April 20th. They will be joined by Good Rust and Pride Through Strife. Get tickets HERE.

Thank you for reading and please share if you enjoyed!

RIVIR

Comments

Popular Posts