Take A Dive [mind wanderings of a selective introvert]


Photo by Aaron Rivers
Sometimes it’s easy to be a cynical bastard, bathing in the shallow waters of a mindset I tread on a daily basis. Not to say my opinions aren’t valid, because all opinions have validity if they came from a person’s real life experiences. It’s just important to not get so wrapped up in them that it’s difficult to step outside the walls that are so easily built and reinforced by the same thought patterns and people who perpetuate them. When I let myself just listen to the stories of those with whom I disagree, I find that my whole world gets a lot bigger because there’s a potential for connection everywhere I go.


I’m a selective introvert and really enjoy my alone time because I get to explore the inner workings of my imagination. But sometimes I may spend a little too much time trying to understand myself versus understanding others, only because I know how important it is to understand the plight of those who seem different from us. It can sometimes help us understand ourselves so much better than we would be able to by looking only inward. Stories connect us with our sense of self because we start to realize that people aren't really all that different from one another. At the end of the day, we're all human and long for friendship and intimacy.

I’ve always tried to remember to do at least one thing I’m scared of each day, or something that takes me out of my comfort zone. Unfortunately this usually gets forgotten in the wake of my trying to stay afloat with responsibilities that, once completed, can overshadow my desire for something new and exciting. Like once my responsibilities are complete, my day is complete, but only so far as to say I kept my head above water. It isn’t thriving or bringing me to new islands if I’m only treading in the same place. And sometimes it’s fun to take a dive anyways.


I challenge you to strike up a conversation with a stranger today. They might be your next fan, mentor or best friend.

Much love,
Joey

RIVIR

Comments

Popular Posts