Artist Highlight: Scattered Melodies

Today we have the pleasure of featuring one of the most unique musical projects in the valley: Scattered Melodies. Josh and Jake are the members of Scattered Melodies. And that's it. You might be thinking to yourself, two members? That's it? Yes, ma'am. They are a rhythm section who specialize in collaborating with musicians from all over the valley.

Not only have they pulled off collaborations on some of the biggest stages in the valley such as McDowell Mountain Music Festival, Scattered Melodies has also put together several amazing pieces of recorded music featuring musicians like Haley Green, Cori Rios and Chaz Fertal.

Josh and Jake have a very unique perspective being that they aren't in a traditional band with a consistent lineup. Each show, and song features a new musician and leans towards a different musical style, which is a big reason I'm such a fan of these guys. As I'm sure you are, we were curious about Josh and Jake's experience in Scattered Melodies, so our question for them was:

"After having worked with so many different musicians with Scattered Melodies what is something you've learned, or an experience you've had that has changed the way your approach music?"

When I first started playing music with other people, I was 15 years old and did it out of the want & need to just play music. It didn't go much deeper than that at first, I just wanted to write songs and play them live and knew I had to team up with other musicians in order to do so. Of course I still had fun doing it and had great experiences but I was more focused on the finish line of becoming a successful musician, opposed to living in the present. I thought that in order to become successful I had to be touring all the time, signed to a major label, etc. 


Fast forward 8 years & a couple bands later and Scattered Melodies is born. Long story short: Jake and I were left without a lead singer due to our previous band "The Morning After" breaking up. We wanted to start making a record with some songs we had so I decided to make it happen through the concept of featuring other artists. Using ideas we already had along with fresh ones from our collaborators, our first album was eventually created. 


It has been about six years now that I've been doing Scattered Melodies and what I've learned from working with all of these different artists is to enjoy the process. This project gives me the pleasure and opportunity to work with whoever I see fit for each song, but more importantly people that I want to create music with, and simply just spend time with. We all have busy lives so music is always an excuse to get together and hang out. I've worked with so many talented artists (38 to be exact) over the past 6 years with this project and I've enjoyed every experience, and have learned something different from each collaboration. How to be patient and adapt to their working techniques, how to play different styles of music and incorporate my style to theirs, how to make all the different songs flow as one collective piece of music to make an album, and so on. I may not know where this project leads to in the future but I realize it's a privilege to continuously collaborate with others and I enjoy every minute of it. Live in the present, enjoy the process. 

Our next show is Friday June 30th at Crescent Ballroom opening up for Passafire and our buddies Mind Upside.

Scattered Melodies on Spotify.
Scattered Melodies on Facebook.
Scattered Melodies on Instagram.

Comments

Popular Posts