Manager & Musician: Is There A Balance?

I know 2 things for certain. I LOVE playing drums and writing music, BUT I also have a passion for business. Where is the balance within these 2 things that aren't necessarily supposed to mesh well? Does a balance even exist? Can you be a great manager AND a great musician? Let alone for your own band?!

I'm still currently en route to finding a healthy middle ground, but now more than ever I feel as if I am finding somewhat of a balance.

The toughest thing about my job has been figuring out: what role I am playing? Manager? Drummer? Friend? Because let's not forget, above everything else, Connor and Tyler (the members of SLS) are two of my best friends in the world and we do this because we love it, not because we want to make a shit-load of money. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anybody wants to be "managed" by their friend.

Most days from about 9am - 2pm I'm playing the "manager" role. I'll be sitting at my parents dining room table drinking copious amounts of coffee, answering emails, booking shows, editing videos/pictures, pacing back and forth on the phone and ultimately trying to create new, better opportunities for the band.

Now it's 3pm and I'm about to walk into the studio. Time to take off the "manager" hat and be a drummer and friend, aka entirely shifting my mind space from "get-shit-done-business-man" to "let's get creative and make some baby making music."

Well shit, I just spent the last 5 hours on the phone, nose deep in emails, and fuck I just realized I didn't get this done, or that done, and DAMMIT I didn't call that guy.... Needless to say, it's hard to get my brain out of that pattern of thinking, so usually the first 20 minutes of practice is spent riddling off the 47 ideas I had that morning, and getting a recap of what the boys got done that night.

There are certain days when the "manager" hat just doesn't come off and I turn into drill sergeant Esteban, demanding to know why certain things haven't been done, or trying to approach music with too much of a "results" mindset. This is my biggest flaw and it's gotten me into several arguments with Tyler and Connor. I care too much and I'll push too hard - but the fucked up thing is it comes from a place of good. There is an insatiable fire that burns inside of me that wants more every day, demands a relentless work ethic and at times, this fire doesn't come out in a positive way and gets manifested as frustration... which never goes over well and only further frustrates the people around you.

Most days this isn't the case and after 4-5 bowls (of cereal) we are well on our way to creating some new tasty-jams, or bullshitting about some video we saw on Reddit the night before. The vibe in the room is free of negativity and full of palpable, musical energy. I'm in full fledged drummer mode and we are about to finish a brand new song **CLICK** MANAGER MODE ENGAGE.... OKAY LETS BOOK STUDIO TIME, MUSIC VIDEOS, INTERVIEWS, ACOUSTIC VIDEO, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN GET IT IN MOVIES.... WHAT IF WE GOT IT ON THE MOON?! 

That is a pretty accurate depiction of what goes on in my brain every day and I don't think I'll ever be able to fully turn it off, rather just manage it better. A manger managing himself...... how deep does it go??? Manage-ception.... Regardless, I'm thankful my brain works in that capacity. I'm extremely thankful to be the manager and drummer for Something Like Seduction, the music we've created, experiences we've had and places we've been. I'm also thankful for my dear friend Joey. We have created this company, RIVIR, that allows me to combine creativity and business in a new, unique way, and I'm excited to see where it will take us.

Perhaps someday Something Like Seduction will reach a point where I can no longer manage the band myself and I'm forced to bring in outside help and relinquish some of my managing duties. Thus, making my involvement in Something Like Seduction more creatively oriented, focused on drumming and creating the best music we possibly can. If I was no longer managing the band I would be free to apply my business mindset to RIVIR and endeavors outside of SLS... would this be better? Now I feel like it would be, but who's to say. Check back with me in 5 years.

As always, thank you so much for taking the time to read through this and please feel free to leave any feedback.

With love,

RIVIR.


Comments

Popular Posts