Artist Highlight: Bob Rabbit

Every week we are going to be asking a new artist a question - not the classic "Tell us about how you started playing music?" Rather, we are more interested in stories. What kind of stories you ask? Stories about how artists gained inspiration, grew as individuals, or even about the time when they ate too many mushrooms and ended up naked in a bath tub... it's up to the artist.

We are starting off our "Artist Highlight" series with our good friend: Bob Rabbit. Bob Rabbit is a 25 year old producer/songwriter/entrepreneur/coffee aficionado. In addition to writing, producing and recording his own music, he has produced and written songs for several artists, thrown several successful events and runs his own non-profit called "Bob Rabbit Project and Art, Compassion, Humanity." Robbie's aim with this non-profit is to equip young producers in Haiti with the tools necessary to produce music.

Robbie recently made the move from San Francisco to Phoenix so our question for him was:

You do a lot of traveling between Tempe and the San Fransisco area for different events you put together. Tell us about a trip you made for a show in the past year that really stuck out to you in a unique way.

"Excellent question. Oddly, I cherish that drive and really make the most of it. The journey is almost always split up into 2 days... this gives me time to check in with friends along the way or spend some time contemplating in the desert.

This past June, at the ripe age of 24, I had in mind something @mrmcdowell told me once about reaching a new level of maturity and growth when he moved out on his own to make a home in the world. I wanted to reach that level, and so with a place to stay and a couple good ass homies I packed up my things and made my way from Danville, CA to the desert. I chopped it up with @charminghandsley for a moment in Pasadena that night and then drove for a bit until fatigue began to set in. Car packed to the gils, I exited somewhere in some town, found a big parking lot, reclined my seat about an inch and a half and got a few hours of sleep.

The sun was coming up and I set out for Joshua Tree. I bought a gallon of water at a gas station and proceeded to drive to the most middle of nowhere spot I could find. After a little bit of off-roading in my 1999 Toyota Corolla, I pulled over, exited the car, stretched, grabbed my water, an extra shirt, my orange meditation pillow, and set a timer for 4 hours - the amount of time I would spend baking out there before I could open up the car again and keep driving. It was hot as shit! And so on I wandered for about 100 yards until I found a nice spot to sit and be. The first couple hours were pretty brutal, but eventually I settled down into the desert's rhythm. Despite the harsh conditions, out there I found peace and space to put together answers to the questions I think about each day. I think everyone should take a nice chunk of time at some point each year to be outside and to ponder and breathe. Obviously, you have to be a nut job to do that in the middle of the desert in the middle of the summer, but it was epic, and a wonderful transition into this current chapter of my life.

I eventually heard the timer beep, made my way back through the brush, got in the car, and finished the drive. Showed up at PJ’s spot around 8 that night sun burn’t as hell. Life is good here and I’ll be making the journey back in month to play with CIFIKA, Anomie Belle, and Common Souls, on March 7th Brick and Mortat Music Hall. Thank you RIVIR for the platform to tell stories about life, my favorite thing ever. Keep on Bumpin!"

- Bob

ALL THINGS BOB RABBIT >>> https://www.bobrabbit.com/

Comments

Popular Posts