Paradise: a place or state of mind?


Picture a tropical thatched roof on a Mexican cantina, laced in the golden glow of the sun as it sinks into the Sea of Cortez. Inside thumps the sound of a live rock band, akin to the sound of The Chili Peppers, Incubus and Radiohead. The cervezas are flowing, everyone is dancing and the world beyond ceases to exist in this moment… That was Cinco de Mayo in Rocky Point, Mexico with my band Sunset Voodoo and Something Like Seduction.



Fast forward nine months to now and I’m just getting home from my part time desk job, trying my best to resist the urge of looting my fridge and unraveling into a Netflix binge. I grab a small snack and put on some Frank Ocean, letting the sound waves swirl into the air like the smoke of slow burning incense. I lean back into my chair, close my eyes and drift off into that Rocky Point paradise. The band will be down there again before we know it and I’m wondering how this year is going to top the last. From naked jet skis, to body shots of tequila chased with nipples and whipped cream, I think we’ve proven that we know how to… well, get a little strange.
While this is nothing I’m opposed to indulging in once again, I’m starting to wonder how long we can keep this up before we all have more responsibilities to attend to. Not only this, but how are we progressing as a band if we keep playing the same gig year after year? On one hand, I couldn’t be more thankful for the opportunities we have to do the things we love, but I still feel a desire for more intangible satisfaction that comes with reaching new heights as an individual and a professional.

My name is Joey and I’m a 25-year-old independent musician. I’m right now in the renaissance of my musical career, trying to make the right decisions. I believe stories are one of the best forms of therapy, not only to read, but to write as well. This blog is the stream of consciousness for myself, my dear friend Esteban and other creatives who are inspired and driven towards a dream. Join us for a drift. 


RIVIR.

Comments

Popular Posts