Your Mind: Best Friend or Mortal Enemy

Holy shit, guys. What a fuckin past 6 weeks. I have dealt with my fair share of stress and anxiety, but nothing like the past month and a half. After finding out a loved one was diagnosed with cancer, it seemed like my entire reality was flipped completely upside down and I could no longer control my own mind. I thought I was the type of person that would be able to deal with these kind of tough situations that life presented, but I was crudely reminded, by my self, that I still have a lot of work to do in controlling my own mind and thoughts.

When I first got the news I started thinking fuck, I don't want this person to die, we have so many years left to do so many things. Then I started thinking, shit, WHAT IF I'M SICK?! I DON'T WANT DO DIE! And then down the rabbit hole I went... Overly concerned with my loved ones mortality, my own mortality and health, no longer being able to enjoy a simple Tuesday because I was too concerned with a myriad of other thoughts. Thoughts that were transient, that I created, but I still allowed myself to be consumed by them.

Enough depressing shit though, the point of this post is to talk about how your mind can be A) Your best friend or B) your mortal enemy. You might be thinking, "a mortal enemy" damn that's a little excessive don't you think? No. Your mind is powerful enough to quite literally allow you to never enjoy a day of your life. It can convince you of anything you let it and will destroy you, if you aren't careful.

On the other hand your mind can be your best friend and the most powerful tool you have at your disposal, if used properly. "Thinking positively" is now considered a cliche, but really is the 1st step to having a healthy mind. Positive thinking produces more serotonin, which makes you happier, which produces happier thoughts, which then encourages you to be more productive and enjoy your days more. In addition to "positive thinking" self encouragement is in my opinion the key to success and the key to a happy mind. No one will ever be quicker to criticize you than yourself, but if you can find a way to commend yourself for even the smallest of things, you produce more serotonin which tells your mind "I DID SOMETHING RIGHT," makes you happy and in turn you will want to do more things you can encourage yourself for.

As I'm writing this I'm thinking, what's the point of all of this? Am I simply writing this for myself, as a sort of cathartic practice, so I can get closer to being back at equilibrium? Or do I want maybe just one person to read this and feel like they aren't going through their mental struggles alone? Maybe a little bit of both. I cant quite decide.

All I know is my best days are the ones where I wake up thankful. Immediately when I wake up I thank the universe for another day on earth, I do my best to smile BIG and then rinse, recycle repeat. I've found the more I can be thankful throughout the day, I see every little thing that is happening to me as a small gift, good or bad, because it's something that I get to experience for another day. Too often I've taken my own life for granted and it's unfortunate it took 25 years for me to have this realization, but never again. Every damn day is a blessing and gift to be here on earth, spending it with the ones we love, doing things we love and having a damn good time.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, if you feel so inclined feel free to share your story, or if you just want to talk feel free to message me privately - I'm more than happy to chat.

With love,

Esteban.

Comments

  1. I love reading your updates Esteban! Thanks for the always insightful food for thought. Growing in the face vulnerability is a challenge I relate to. Your words are motivating. My heart goes out to your dear friend and their struggle. How lucky they are to have a friend like you to support them. Cheers to another day of growth and smiling BIG :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you, Kathy! Thanks for always being so supportive over the years :)

      Delete
  2. I loved this whole article, Esteban. As far as I’m concerned. you’re on the right track. The more positive energy you put out there, the more it comes back to you and around you. Yeah, there’s some tough shit to deal with on occasion, but with the right attitude . . . well, it all works out in the end. Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts